Finals are done; projects are completed. If you’re a student returning home for the holidays from college, this will likely be a much-needed break. As you catch up with old friends and family, the holidays are a great time to go out and enjoy your time home.
If you’re looking for some ideas on where to go while you’re back, grab your friends and try one of the following:
Go experience one of Macomb County’s eight great local breweries. Whether your preference is light and sweet or full bodied and robust, the experts have something ready for you.
- Baffin Brewing Company: Macomb County’s newest brewery typically has five to six beers on tap and the owners state that no matter what your favorite brew is, they have something that will make you happy.
- Brooks Brewing:They focus on hitting classic styles perfectly but also transforming the landscape of beer flavor. The beauty of beer lies within its variety of flavors. Try their great beer and it will redefine your personal beer experience!
- Dragonmead: Dragonmead has over 47 beers on tap. The wide variety of carefully crafted beers contain over 77 different types of grains from seven different countries. The interior is similar to an English-style pub and most of the artwork revolves around a medieval theme.
- Falling Down: Their philosophy of locally-sourced goods and services means they purchase from local companies whenever possible. The commitment to local goes beyond just food and drink! They are actively negotiating and designing the brew house, promotional materials, general construction and website operations with Michigan companies.
- Great Baraboo:Signature brews, the mug club and delicious food make Great Baraboo a must-try destination in Utica.
- Kuhnhenn: Kuhnhenn was born out of a family business as a favorite local hardware store that refused to go under when big box moved in next door. Unable to compete with the resources of a large corporation, Kuhnhenn transformed their space into an eight-barrel microbrewery and brew-on-premise shop.
- Sherwood Brewing Co.: Sherwood Brewing Co. has been honored as the recipient of WDIV’s “4 the Best” award for Best Brewpub for six consecutive years (2007 – 2012) as voted by the public. They serve only the finest hand-crafted beer, wine and sodas – all made in their on-site brewing facility.
For those with a palette that goes beyond a bottle of suds, check out the tasting room at Blake’s. Forty-six thousand apple trees worked hard all year to make 19 different delicious brands of hard cider.
If you’re on Hall Road, stop by C.J. Barrymore’s to bowl, hit some golf balls in the indoor dome, check out the arcade or the bar and get a look at their new roller coaster currently under construction. Or check out Dave & Buster’s in Utica next to the new Jimmy John’s Field that will be ready for you when you come home next summer.
Are you looking for good, old-fashioned fun or just stuck babysitting the younger siblings? Go ice skating in Macomb. We’ve got all your locations covered! Also while you’re home, use those gift cards you may have received at Partridge Creek, Lakeside or the newly-renovated Macomb Mall.
That should get you through the holidays! Planning on coming back next summer? Did you know you can take college courses here in Macomb County offered by 11 different Michigan colleges and universities? Keep working toward your degree in Macomb!
Nick Posavetz is a senior planner for Macomb County, providing content for the Macomb Business and Make Macomb Your Home websites. If you have a topic you would like to be featured, reach out to him at email@example.com.