Did you know April is National County Government Month? Celebration of this month is a great chance for us in county government to celebrate and highlight the services we provide. For example, did you know that in 2015, the Macomb County Health Department provided more than 8,900 flu vaccines at clinics and outreaches to protect families from the flu virus? Or that the Sheriff’s Office dispatch fielded 340,350 calls during that same time? These numbers are impressive and a testament to the work government employees do. This month, we will be promoting these fun facts on some of our county Twitter accounts (@MacombNewsNow, @MakeMacombYourHome) to get the word out. We believe it’s important for the public to know what we are doing here to bridge the communication gap between county government and the residents it serves.
These are all facts that represent the services provided by Macomb County government in 2015:
Macomb County Sheriff’s Office
- 340,350 calls were received by dispatch.
- 45,997 were fire/EMS-related calls.
- 169,474 total calls were dispatched.
- The dispatch center has 54 dispatchers, four dispatch supervisors and one communications administrator.
Macomb County Health Department (MCHD)
- More than 8,900 flu vaccines were provided at clinics and outreaches to protect families from the flu virus.
- Nearly 12,000 children received vaccines from MCHD that help protect against life-threatening illnesses.
- Vaccines are not just for kids – more than 9,600 adults received a vaccine at MCHD.
- Vaccines help protect those most at risk for complications, like infants and older adults; MCHD administered over 35,000 vaccines.
- MCHD is keeping our favorite restaurants safe places to eat, providing more than 4,700 inspections each year.
Macomb County Office of Senior Services
- Provided direct service to 9,562 older adults across their menu of programs, which includes Adult Day Service, Dining Senior Style, Meals on Wheels, Resource Advocacy, Chore Services and Home Injury Control.
Macomb County Veterans’ Services
- 7,000 veterans received assistance.
Macomb County Department of Planning and Economic Development
- Staff met with a total of 509 businesses and investors.
- There was $168 million in direct investment dollars made to Macomb County.
- More than 5,000 jobs were created or retained.