We are really excited about this year’s event! Our lineup of activities offers older adults and their families resources that will enhance their lives and allow them to remain independent in their own homes.
We’ll have health screenings, wellness activities, cooking demonstrations and community resources combined with entertainment – all the popular activities that past participants have told us they enjoy. All in all, over 100 vendors are signed up to be there. This year, we have some new fun and useful special activities, like:
- DIA Away, a free, mobile, interactive, 53-foot trailer from the Detroit Institute of Arts that provides educational and hands-on art experiences throughout the tri-county area. We are fortunate to have secured this popular attraction, and we’re sure it will be a hit.
- Chair yoga activities are back again. This can be incredibly beneficial for people of all abilities. Not only can yoga be practiced at home, but it can even be done in a favorite chair. Yoga has been shown to improve overall health, improve flexibility and strength, reduce stress and it’s loads of fun!
- A prescription drug disposal service, where visitors can drop off expired or unneeded prescriptions for safe disposal. When prescription drugs are no longer needed, it is important to dispose of them properly to help reduce harm from accidental ingestion or intentional misuse. All drugs will be accepted except needles.
- Onsite shredding in the parking lot for safe disposal of confidential information to prevent fraud and identity theft. Two box limit.
- Live entertainment by the Tommy James Orchestra. Tommy and his orchestra are back by popular demand, which will be a perfect accompaniment to the ballroom dancing instructions.
- An instructor-led painting class. No art experience required. Participants will create their own 8-by-8 inch painting.
Macomb County is a great place to live, work and play for people of all ages. This event highlights the many great things happening right here!
Senior Fun Fest is scheduled for 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Friday, May 20 at Gibraltar Trade Center, 237 N. River Road, Mount Clemens. There is no entry fee or reservation required, and parking is free. For more information, contact the Macomb Community Action Office of Senior Services at (586) 469-5228 or visit www.mca.macombgov.org.
Katherine Benford is division director at Macomb Community Action.