This week, Miami Florida’s top temperature is 87 degrees.
Macomb County’s top temperature, meanwhile, is a scorching 97 degrees.
So, if you find yourself unable to fly down to Miami to enjoy the cooler weather, never fear—there are plenty of places to go in Macomb County that will help you beat the heat.
- Wally’s Frozen Custard – Located on Harper Avenue in St. Clair Shores, this joint has it all—shakes, floats, malts, sundaes, splits, cones and even custard pies. A little bit of cold, creamy custard is sure to make even the most unbearably hot day a whole lot better.
- The Clinton River – Boasting a nearly 82-mile water trail, the river is the perfect place to go kayaking this week. The headwaters and lower river offer a tranquil float through stunning natural landscapes, while the heart of the river features fast waters and hairpin turns for the more daring crowd. Before summer’s over, get back to nature (and your adventurous side) by exploring the Clinton River and all its beauty.
- The Lake St. Clair Metropark – Nothing feels better on a toasty summer day than taking a dip into some cool, clean At the Lake St. Clair Metropark, you’ve got tons of water-related activities to choose from. There’s a pool (complete with waterslides and obstacle courses), a beautiful beach and even a splash pad for kids. If you’d prefer to stay dry, you can also play basketball, pickleball, volleyball, tennis or horseshoes, or go biking, hiking or out for a simple picnic. The possibilities are endless, so get outside and play at the Metropark this week.
- The Edsel and Eleanor Ford House – If you’re looking to have fun while becoming a more cultured citizen at the same time, look no further than the Ford house. Here, you’ll learn about the Ford family and their unique connections to history, art, mechanics, design, the environment and the American tradition. Currently, the house is celebrating Edsel and Eleanor’s 100th wedding anniversary with a wedding-themed exhibit that we’re sure you’ll fall in love with.
- Lakeside Mall – Walking among hundreds of excited shoppers and enjoying a soft pretzel from Auntie Anne’s while anticipating the new clothes and shoes you’re going to treat yourself to is an iconic Lakeside Mall experience. Head over to the mall this week and get all those things you’ve been meaning to buy—oh, and be on the lookout for Pokémon while you’re at it!
Jenna Russell is a summer intern at the Macomb County Department of Planning and Economic Development. She is a junior at Oakland University.