The holidays are upon us once again! And if you’re like me, your list of people to buy gifts for just keeps on growing. I need something for my parents and siblings, a gift for my in-laws, presents for my nephews and bits and bobs for friends and various hosts of holiday parties. How do I keep up? Shopping local right here in Macomb County! Here’s why —
1. You can avoid the crowds. Buying presents at local small businesses certainly helps beat the stress of the seasonal shopping frenzy. No dealing with crazy mall parking lots or long lines to check out – just a quick trip to some friendly neighborhood retailers and you’ve crossed several names off your gift list! How easy is that?
2. You can help your community. Research from the American Independent Business Alliance shows that shopping local is great way to support your hometown. For instance:
- Small businesses donate more than twice as much per sales dollar to local nonprofits, events and teams compared to big businesses.
- Not only do independent businesses employ more people directly per dollar of revenue, they are also the customers of local printers, accountants, wholesalers, farms, attorneys, etc. – expanding opportunities for local entrepreneurs.
- All told, each dollar spent at independent businesses returns three times more money to a local economy than one spent at a chain.
3. You can win cash! Five $500 gift cards will be given to Shop Local Macomb campaign participants that snap a photo, upload it and share it on social media with #ShopLocalMacomb. The fun begins on Friday, Nov. 23 and ends on Sunday, Dec. 2. Winners will be announced live on Facebook on Monday, Dec. 3 at noon. Get all of the details here: makemacombyourhome.com/shoplocal
Now let’s recap. If you shop local in Macomb this holiday season, you’ll beat the crowds, help your community and potentially win some cash! Here are some tools to help you make a plan:
- The Make Macomb Your Home interactive map, which features more than 1,600 independently owned and operated stores. Search it by community or retail specialty.
- The Shop Local Macomb holiday sales portal, which features the specials and discounts being offered by the proprietors of unique boutiques and businesses.
There. Now you are set to enjoy shopping for the holidays — which means you’ll check off that long gift list in no time!
Happy shopping everyone! For more information on the Shop Local Macomb campaign, visit nhttp://www.makemacombyourhome.com/shoplocal.
Megan Ochmanek is a communications specialist for the Macomb County Department of Planning and Economic Development.